Take your serger out of the closet! Learn the fundamental setup stitches, then make three posh projects: an exposed zipper bag, an ombré ruffled apron and a striped knit scarf.
Let sewing instructor Amy Alan introduce you to the endless potential of the serger, a powerful overlock sewing machine capable of sewing seams, finishing edges, embellishing and more.
Start with serger threading and maintenance, then learn basic and decorative stitches for a wide range of projects and fabric types. Create a serger stitch book you can reference again and again, and get all the troubleshooting techniques you need to serge like a pro. Practice your serging on three fun skill-building projects.
Serge ahead and sign up today for Beginner Serging: Machine Basics & Techniques.
What You’ll Learn
- To thread and set up three standard serger models
- Serger parts and how they work
- Troubleshooting and cleaning techniques
- Nine basic stitches on a variety of fabrics
- Decorative stitches using embroidery floss, yarn and ribbon
What You’ll Make
- An exposed zipper bag
- An ombré ruffled apron
- A striped knit scarf
- A serger stitch book
What you get:
- 9 HD video lessons with anytime, anywhere access
- A downloadable, printable serger stitch book cover
- Hours of up-close instruction
- Answers from Amy in our virtual classroom
The Craftsy Guarantee:
- Watch classes on your own schedule: wherever, whenever you want
- Your access never expires
- 100% money back guarantee
- Introduction (6:45)
Meet Amy Alan and go over what you’ll learn in this class.
- Your Serger & How It Works (41:08)
Explore every component of your serger, getting up close and in depth into its mechanics.
- Basic Stitches (49:58)
Go over basic serger stitches, from the 4-thread overlock to the 2-thread flatlock and everything between.
- Decorative Stitches (38:19)
Learn to use yarn, silk ribbon, rayon and other materials with your serger.
- Troubleshooting Your Serger (24:01)
Learn to fix poor tension, problem stitches and machine issues, as well as how to clean your serger.
- Exposed Zipper Bag (31:03)
Make a zipper bag that’s both functional and fashionable.
- Ombré Ruffled Apron (20:52)
Amy guides you through the construction of a multi-colored, ruffled apron.
- Striped Knit Scarf (29:49)
Create a decorative striped scarf from knit fabric.
- Bonus – Serger Feet (16:02)
Learn to use the gathering foot, elasticator, and blind hem foot.
- Supported OS: Web Browser
Intermediate skill level
Watch classes on your own schedule: wherever, whenever you want
Your access never expires
100% money back guarantee